William R. Wilde's Loch Coirib - Its Shores and Islands

Chapter 3: Gaillimh to Eanach Dúin (Annaghdown)

Hags Castle

Chapter 3: Gaillimh to Eanach Dúin (Annaghdown)

Return to table of contents
Refer to Map

On the west, as the eye traverses this apparently sterile region, it rests on the chimney of the lead mine at Gort Mór, and the grey side-wall of Tulach Cadhain Castle popularly called Caisleán na Caillighe, or the Hag's Castle of which the accompanying illustration, from a drawing made by Mr. Wakeman gives a good idea. This castle is called Tullokyne on the Ordnance Map, and it must not be confounded with Caisleán na Caillighe on Loch Measca, referred to in the Donegal Annals under A.D. 1195. In 1586, Muriertach O Conor held the castle of Tullekyhan. Of its origin, or true history, we know nothing but it is mentioned by O Flaherty in 1684, when a similar structure, a few paces distant, existed, which was blown down by the great storm of January, 1839. They were called, says Hardiman, "the Castles of the two Sisters, of whom some romantic tales of former days are still current." Tollokyan Castle Among these, the people state that when these old maids were too old to visit, they built these castles in such close contiguity in order that they might daily "barge" one another from their respective windows. At long run, however, the dame that owned the present ruin cut short the dispute by killing her sister!

Online edition of William R. Wilde's Loch Coirib, © 1995-2002 World Wide Web Marketing Ltd. NB: This is still a work in progress, please report any errors to joe@galway.net.