Hardiman's History of Galway

Chapter 4: From 1484 to the commencement of the Irish Rebellion in 1641

Passage from Corrib to Lough Atalia; Fortifications built; Great fire in 1500

Chapter 4

From 1484 to the commencement of the Irish Rebellion in 1641

Return to table of contents
Old map of Galway

The corporate regulations already detailed infused new spirit and vigour among the inhabitants. Several useful and considerable works were now undertaken by the corporation; and, in the mayoralty of Andrew Lynch Fitz-Stephen, in 1498, the important communication from Lough-athalia? to Poulavorline, which would have opened an easy passage from Lough-corrib? to the sea, (and which is still so desirable,) was commenced, but never completed. The remains of this useful, but neglected, work are yet visible, and are distinguished by the name of "Lynch's Folly." In the same year the curfew-bell was introduced, and a considerable part of the fortifications from the shoemaker's tower to the quay was built. These improvements were for a while impeded by an accidental fire which took place in 1500, and consumed a great part of the town. The inhabitants, however, soon repaired these losses, and afterwards, from time to time, beautified the town with several most superb structures, many of which remain entire to this day; bearing dates and inscriptions which generally contain the names of their founders, and denote the particular periods of their erection.

Next: Battle of Knoc-tuadh, 1504

Online edition of Hardiman's History of Galway, © 1995-2001 World Wide Web Marketing Ltd. This is still a work in progress.