One of serveral buildings on the outskirts of Loughrea town. The light rail link, linking Loughrea with Attymon on the Dublin - Galway line, was opened in 1890. The late 19th century was the golden age of rail travel in Ireland. However rail could not compete with motor transport and during the 1950s many country rail lines closed throughout the country. The Loughrea line was one of the last, surviving until 1975 when it was finally decommissioned. Photo: Joe Desbonnet.
Click on image to enlarge.